Monday, April 13, 2009

I Can Never Have a Total Money Makeover

I have never read the ubiquitous Dave Ramsey book but I get the jist of his cash-only lifestyle. I realize he also allows debit cards but anyway... I do NOT carry cash. At all. If I have cash it disappears. I don't understand why I get that way. I've been selling stuff on craigslist to the tune of $80 total and when I went to deposit the cash, I had $31 left. I blew threw $49 over the weekend on ridiculous expenses. Cash seems to say to me... "I'm just paper. You can get these random items that you want at this exact moment but probably won't want in an hour or so just by handing me over. And I'm just paper. No big deal." Yeah. It's horrible and I'm totally beating myself up about it. Grrr.
This weekend was not a good money weekend. It started with going to a movie and out to dinner to the tune of $80. We got takeout three times. I had to buy baby sunscreen which is ridiculously expensive and they had a display of toddler sunglasses that I should've resisted but bought anyway with PAPER (see above). Then I spent the afternoon with my mom putting together favors and whatnot for the anniversary party this weekend and Billy and Bee spent the day together which culminated in the purchase of a spendy Elmo toy. Argh. He went to the store to buy a cheap ball to play with at the park and, well, the rest is history. I guess in defense of cash-only living, I could've given him a 5 or 10 or whatever and said, "This is for lunch and incidentals." Which would've resulted in him eating at home and buying the ball only. OK OK that's great but that isn't stopping me from my bad cash habits... I'm a failure!

No comments:

Post a Comment