Wednesday, August 3, 2005

RetroPost: How much do we care about independence?

{Saved from The Nest} Argh, we're at a crossroads that I never even considered possible... So, we've been bouncing around ideas, trying to get us into Fallon affordably. We don't want to live in Fernley anymore seeing as we both work here now and our house is starting to fall apart. That and, plain and simple, the commute is killing us royally. Physically (since we're too tired to exercise or cook a decent dinner once we get home), mentally (just knowing that when you wake up there's a long drive ahead of you is killer), and monetarily (gas is insane and the car loves to break down). My parents have this nice piece of property they inheirited about 3 1/2 years ago that they subdivided into three lots. They sold the one with the house on it for hella cheap to my grandparents about two years ago, sold one last year and have had the middle lot sitting there. They offered it to us for $40K which sounded great last year but now, with the Fallon housing bubble the way it is, it's worth more than double that. I feel bad having them practically sitting on a gold mine, offering it to us for a few pieces of silver, so to speak. So, that's the main option we've been kicking at, but I'm fairly certain we can't afford it even with the awesome price. So here's the dilemma... Last night, dear mom and dad put out another proposition. They're allowed to build a "guest house" on their lot... So the idea is... build this "guest house" and "rent" it out to us. In all honesty, I'm thinking this is a wonderful horrible idea. It would be so cheap and it would be the perfect little house... But in the same aspect, it seems to be a huge step backwards for us and our independence. Yes, with the other lot we'd be living next door to my grandparents... but this would literally be living in my mom and dad's backyard. It was one thing getting married in their backyard... Since I've had this on my mind, I'll be going along thinking it's a great idea since it would be so cheap. Then, suddenly, I'll panic about how bad of an idea it really is. Truly though, it's the only way we could afford to move to Fallon right now unless we got rid of everything we've ever worked for and started to rent again. I am so confused!!!! Argh! ~Jilli

No comments:

Post a Comment