Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Domestically Challenged

I've been a SAHM for mmmm.... 16 months now. (15 months with Bee plus 1 month prior)
For the first time, I'm actually starting to get it.

Let's be blunt. I'm lazy.
Billy's kinda lazy too. Domestically anyway.
Growing up, my parents never made me clean my room. I would let it get beyond imagination cluttered and then I would wake up uber-early one day and clean until it sparkled and shined. Unfortunately, that habit followed me into adulthood.
At first it was OK. The apartments or our first house would explode for awhile and then one day, we'd clean like crazy. And there was always one disaster of a room. Always.
BUT during the times that I wasn't working (with the exception of the first time I lost my job...), the house would be tidy. When we took our sabbatical, we lived in the Funky Lil Shack and it was so small we couldn't let it get messy. So we cleaned everyday.
Anyway, when we're working the house goes BOOM.
When the decision was made for me to be a SAHM... I just kinda assumed I would keep the house tidy while taking care of the baby.
Uh, yeah, NO. So didn't happen. We've been living in frickin' squalor pretty much since Bee came home. Slight exaggeration but dishes piled in the sink and then across the counter and the floors of our room and Bee's room being a ginormous laundry hamper is the norm around here.
But! In the last week, I've stepped into high gear. I think something in me just snapped. I've been cleaning like a crazy person and then *gasp* keeping up with the tidiness! Holy cow. So far, I cleaned and arranged Bee's room, Kevin's old room has been beautifully transformed into a guest bedroom/home office, and on Sunday Billy and I made our living room actually livable! Right now I'm surrounded by the contents of the hallway closet and that's my goal of the day. Squee!
I've divided the house into rooms and areas:

11 Rooms


  1. Master Bedroom

  2. Master Bathroom

  3. Bee's Room (Done!)

  4. Guest Room (Done!)

  5. Guest Bathroom

  6. Living Room (Done!)

  7. Kitchen/Dining Area

  8. Laundry Room

  9. Garage

  10. Dog Room

  11. Studio
6 Areas


  1. Master Closet

  2. Hall Closet

  3. Bee's Closet (Done!)

  4. Guest Closet

  5. Hallway

  6. Pantry
We've also scheduled a day to do the garage. Finally. Then we can have the garage sale that was my goal for June 13... >_< Oops. Oh well. It'll get done.

No comments:

Post a Comment