Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Hey Your Consumerism is Showing

Confession: I am a bad daughter.
Quickie explanation: My parents raised me to be spiritual, love God and live that way. It stuck. Their religion did not. That's a LONG story. Anyway, from time to time, we go to meeting with them and allow them to take Bee fairly regularly. I am a bad daughter because I think I'm slightly leading them on whenever we go to meeting... It pains me to see them so happy that we're there.
But that is neither here nor there with today's dilemma.
We're going to the convention.
This religion calls for men in suits and women in dresses. No exceptions.
I have decided to attend the convention with them in July for two reasons - 1: I think three full days of spiritual guidance makes up for the rest of the year when we don't go to church and 2: It's a punkass way to have a free mini-vacation. >_< (See? Bad daughter.) Anyway, Bee has outgrown all her infant dress shoes that she wore maybe once or twice. I decided to look at oldnavy.com for ONE pair since I have a $10 gift certificate. Instead, I found three. And a cute dress. Oh and a couple of cute skirts that I would love to have... I felt my whole body and soul yearning desperately to just slap these on the Old Navy credit card... No biggie right? Even now I feel a pull to just buy them. "Oh why not?" says the Plastic Princess in my mind as she sits up and peers out of the cell in the little prison I put her into in January. "You need to look nice... and don't you want to show off your beautiful baby? Don't you???" She sticks the Old Navy card out of the bars and shakes it a little. It sparkles. "It's just a little... $60...ish? With what? $7 shipping? What's the big deal, hmmmmm?"
It's terrible. I still want to go "Yes! Give me the credit card! I'm buying this stuff! Hurray!" But I'm not going to. I'm going to keep it together. We have time to figure out how to get dress shoes without using the credit card.

No comments:

Post a Comment