Friday, June 12, 2009

Being a Good In-Law... I Ask Myself "WHY?"

After 7 years with Billy, I've come to this conclusion - My in-laws aren't bad but they're insane. They are just drama drama drama. All the time. Without fail. Drama. Hubby is #4 of 5 and the 5th is 17 years younger than him so basically he's the baby of the first four and his little sister is being raised pretty much like an only child. Anyway, did I mention he's the only boy? Four sisters equals DRAMA.
What does this have to do with our money, you ask? A lot, unfortunately. Sister 2 of 5 is the craziest of them all. She's pregnant with #6. Oh good God. She's totally irresponsible. She and her loser husband don't work and just live off the state. They feel like they're entitled to everything. They live 13 hours away (Thank you Lord!!!) but they used to live in the same town as us. And it was always DRAMA. There was a good chunk of time where Billy felt like he HAD to help her out. Because she's family... Long story short, we easily threw a good $2500 at them to "help them get on their feet". This included: buying groceries/clothes/diapers/medications/housewares, helping with bills, giving rides, bailing them out of jail... the list goes on. Finally, when we just couldn't take it anymore, we spent $500 to plop them all on a plane to live near mom-in-law so they would just GO AWAY!!!
The other two... they've made bad decisions in life as well but they haven't been such financial and emotional drains.
But none of this is the point. Right now, here it is - June. I'm already 6 months deep into sending each and every family member a birthday gift. WHY?!? I don't know. I really don't. In January, it felt like a great idea. The right thing to do. Never again.
A few days ago, 2 of 5 called bitching about mom-in-law... "She never does anything for me and she's SUPPOSED to cuz she my mom blah blah blah.......... She didn't do anything fancy fancy for my boys' birthdays WAH WAH WAH" Oh for Pete's sake. And that's when it dawned on me. Hey! My Baby Bee's birthday was last week. Did any of them send her a gift? A card? A quickie phone call? NO. Not even Grandma. Have they ever sent ME anything for my birthday? NO. Heck, have they even sent anything to Billy, their own flesh and blood? NO!!! So why, pray tell, do I feel this ridiculous need to gift them and their spawn (all 17 of them)? No clue. Gah.
Well, I've come this far. Only 7 left. Over half done. But NEVER again. Especially since I haven't received so much as ONE thank you. Not ONE.
*rant over ^_^*

No comments:

Post a Comment