Wednesday, October 14, 2009

I'm Addicted to Drugstores

I think Walgreens was my gateway drugstore. It opened my eyes to a whole new world of paying little to nothing for necessities. After my deodorant extravaganza last week, I thought my world couldn't get any better. I was wrong.
Longs Drugs just became a CVS.
Oh. My. Golly.
In the two times I've been there since their grand opening I have spent just over $10 (with tax). With this $10 I have received:
5 packs of Huggies diapers (FIVE!!! 4 of which are spendy overnight diapers!)
1 Opti-Free Replenish contacts lens solution
1 Old Spice deodorant
1 bottle of Head & Shoulders
3 bars of Dial soap
1 tube of Colgate Total

All these things are necessities that I would have bought at one point or another for a total of $82. OK maybe I would've gotten a different brand of soap... Nonetheless, I spent $10. TEN!!! This is an 88% savings. Spending $10 OOP may not rock the socks of CVS veterans but it totally rocks mine. I CANNOT believe the money I have been throwing away my entire adult life. Un-frickin-believable. These are the brands of diapers, deodorant, shampoo, and toothpaste that we use and have always used. These are not store brands. These are not cut-rate products. These are the real deal. I get jittery just thinking about all we've lost by not being conscienctious! And the stupid thing is that we thought we were frugal people! HA! Not even! Using a coupon here and there to save a few cents... laughable, really.
I'm taking this wake-up call and as of next paycheck, I'm officially starting an honest-to-God grocery/household budget. There is no reason not to. Today I made dinner for 4 adults and a toddler for probably about $2 total. I could do this all the time. It's time.

No comments:

Post a Comment