Tuesday, July 13, 2010

I Miss You

Grandpa died yesterday.
I have been obscenely blessed throughout life. I was born in a little town that housed my parents and both full sets of grandparents no more than ten minutes away. In the nearly 26 years I have been alive, I have only lived five of them away from my hometown. And I've never lived more than two hours away. In high school, I always half-heartedly joined in the griping about the nothing-to-do-one-horse-town life and wanting to get away to anywhere else. But in all honesty, I didn't really mean it. Even in adulthood, Billy and I have exclaimed "Why do we live here?!?" and "There's no way we can live here forever!" But even at that, we wouldn't move far if we moved at all. 30-60 miles at most. Because this life is a blessed life. One that has what so many others don't: The close-knit family. Roots- real roots. My maternal grandparents and an uncle live next door. My parents are four minutes away and are our sole babysitters.
Ever since I found out he was gone, every memory of Grandpa has been firing off in my head like fireworks. Thus, I feels like my life is flashing before my eyes. It's so strange and so painful.
I miss you, Grandpa. So much. I had four perfect places in my heart for my grandparents and now there is an aching hole where you are supposed to be. I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment